Summer construction works timetable
From 16 June 2022
From 16 June to 28 August, the summer construction works timetable comes into force in Ticino. This schedules a partial reduction of services on the TILO lines. The timetable is designed in such a way that several important construction works on the Ticino railway network can be carried out at the same time. The most significant work involves the building of the new pedestrian underpass in Besso at Lugano station, and renovation works at Cadenazzo station. Please check the online timetable before every trip.
The work at Lugano station includes the construction of temporary pedestrian and railway bridges, to enable the subsequent excavation of the new underpass. This means that only three rather than four platforms can be used. The renovation works at the Cadenazzo station are part of the “Barrier-free by 2023” programme. The station remains closed to customers for the duration of the construction works. Besides this important infrastructure work, other building projects with less impact on passengers are planned for the abovementioned period.
During this period, Arcobaleno tickets and travelcards valid for zones 31/310 are also accepted on the Cadenazzo - S. Antonino route (and vice versa). It is therefore not necessary to buy an additional ticket or travelcard.
From 6 August until the end of the summer construction timetable, a construction site for the renewal of track 100 between Capolago and Mendrisio will also take place. The single track between Capolago and Mendrisio means a further change in the service for the RE80 and S10 lines.
Listed below are the most important changes on the TILO lines from 16 June to 28 August.
TILO RE80 line: Locarno‒Lugano‒Chiasso‒Milano Centrale
- TILO RE80 trains do not stop in Cadenazzo because this station is closed to passenger traffic. Additional buses operate between Cadenazzo and S. Antonino.
- TILO RE80 trains from Lugano to the Milano Centrale terminus depart earlier (55 minutes past instead of 2 minutes past the hour).
- TILO RE80 trains from Milano Centrale arrive later in Lugano (4 minutes past instead of 58 minutes past the hour).
- There is therefore no connection to the IC2 and IC21 trains in either direction in Lugano.
- Up to Friday, 5 August, the TILO RE80 train, which terminates at/starts from Milano Centrale, stops at all stations between Lugano and Mendrisio, and partly replaces the reduced S90 service.
- From Saturday, 6 August, no trains terminating at/starting from Milano Centrale operate between Maroggia and Mendrisio (they run between Locarno–Maroggia–Locarno / Mendrisio–Milano Centrale–Mendrisio). Exception: some connections operate regularly at peak times.
- Up to Friday, 5 August, TILO RE80 trains terminating at/starting from Chiasso remain unchanged.
- From Saturday, 6 August, TILO RE80 trains terminating at/starting from Chiasso only run as far as Maroggia.
TILO S10 line: Biasca–Bellinzona–Lugano–Chiasso–Como S. Giovanni
- The S10 at 6.18 p.m. from Lugano, going towards Mendrisio, is not operating.
- The S10 connection from Biasca towards Airolo departs at 17.40 instead of 17.38.
- From Saturday, 6 August, the S10 connections terminating at/starting from Chiasso only run as far as Mendrisio (between 5.50 a.m. and 8.30 p.m. from Monday to Saturday). On Sundays and at times when the S40 is not running, the S10 connections operate regularly to Chiasso.
TILO S20 line: Castione-Arbedo–Bellinzona–Locarno
- The S20 trains do not stop in Cadenazzo because this station is closed to passenger traffic. Additional buses operate between Cadenazzo and S. Antonino.
TILO S30 line: Cadenazzo–Luino–Gallarate
- The S30 trains do not stop in Cadenazzo because this station is closed to passenger traffic. Additional buses operate between Cadenazzo and S. Antonino.
- The S30 trains continue on from S. Antonino, with no stops, to Bellinzona, which is the new temporary terminus for the TILO S30 line.
TILO S90 line: Giubiasco–Lugano–Mendrisio
- The S90 trains, which usually operate at hourly intervals to Mendrisio, terminate in Lugano.
- The daily TILO S90 line connections, which are usually extended as far as Bellinzona at peak times, only run as far as Giubiasco during the summer timetable period.
From 29 August, TILO will resume normal services.